Sunday, September 25, 2011

How do you know?

Recently, someone very close to me split up with their significant other after being together for four years.  She asked me how I know that I did the right thing when I married my husband, especially after some of the troubles we had in the beginning.  So I started thinking, how do I know?  My husband is far from being perfect.  He annoys the ever living hell out of me some days.  Sometimes I am envious of other people's relationships because they seem closer to their significant other and spend more one on one time with them.  But with all that, I just know.  Here's how:

After six years together he can still make me laugh, cry, roll my eyes, listen with interest, miss him, want to smack him, want to yell, stick my tongue out, surprise me, and make me feel special.  But most of all, when he kisses me, he still makes my toes tingle.  I am the most content I have ever been my whole life and when I watch him with our kids it makes me fall in love with him all over again.  The best part of my day is when he comes home from work and half the time he is on the phone with work and ignores me.  But he comes home.  Everyday. 

So, how do I know?  I just know.  Do I know he will be my forever?  No.  I can't see what will be in 20 years or 30 years.  But I do know he is my right now and when I imagine life without him it makes me hurt inside, not curious. 

How do you keep things interesting in a long term relationship?  Do you text dirty messages?  Do you go on romantic getaways?  Do you have weekly date nights?  Or are you more like us, where you just make every moment count and call each other a million times a day just to say "Hi, I am thinking about you".

No comments: