Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Secret pregnancy confessions #1: Diet and Exercise

When I first saw the pre-natal nurse after I peed on a stick and realized I was pregnant, she told me to eat healthy, continue exercising if I was already doing so, and what foods to avoid.  Well, after eating super healthy and trying to work out a few times a week, and trying desperately to lose some weight what I actually heard was "You are pregnant, you don't have to lose weight anymore, you can do it after the baby comes".  That first weekend I binged on take out.  Pizza, McDonalds, poutine.  (For my American readers, Poutine is a delicious Canadian dish in which one takes french fries, smothers it in cheese, and then pours on gravy, try it sometime, it is delicious!)  Anyhow, the 8 lbs I worked so hard to take off in the first place are back!!!

My first secret pregnancy confession?  I can't wait for this nausea to change to actual puking so I can lose some of this weight!  My pants are tight and I am not even at that point yet!!!  It's kind of ridiculous.  I am going to ask the prenatal nurse about my diet.  Do I need carbs?  Or do I get enough from vegetables?  If I go back on my low carb diet is that ok?  Is artificial sweeteners ok or should I be sticking to real sugar?

As for the exercise... my husband is getting me some pregnancy safe exercise videos and I am planning to walk more.  It's just so hard when at the beginning of the pregnancy you are so exhausted all you want to do is eat and sleep!!!

No comments: