Before her birth I had been having contractions off and on for 9 days. Sigh...
Tuesday, April 26th, I went to bed around 11 and read until probably 11:30. Jay came to bed around 12:45 am. He woke me up just enough that I decided I was uncomfortable and rolled over. As I rolled over I felt a breeze (like that feeling when your arm is wet and you blow on it) on my butt. So I reached down and my underwear and the sheets were just soaked. I laid there processing the information for a minute then said "Umm Jay?" and he says "what?"
Me: "I think my water broke."
Him: "Yeah right". (LOL)
Me:"Do you want to feel over here and see how wet the bed is?"
Him:"No, that's ok. So what do we do?"
Me: I think we need to go to the hospital
Him: Should we wait until you get contractions?
Me: No we should go, once your water breaks there is a risk of infection
Him: Ok. At least my clothes are still warm.
Then he brought me a towel and I went to the bathroom and put on clean underwear and a pad and started packing my hospital bag. Then we had to wait for his mom to get there so that she could be there for the kids. So I loaded the dishwasher while we waited. :) We stopped at Tim Hortons to get Jay some coffee on the way and off we were! On the way to the hospital we talked about induction and what I wanted if I had to get an epidural (like getting it turned off or down for pushing) and just reminded him all the things I wanted and didn't want so they would be fresh in his mind.
We got to the hospital around 1:30 am and they got me right up to the assessment room. They actually waved me over to the admission desk in front of all the people in the ER, I was impressed! In assessment they hooked me up to a monitor and by that time I was starting to get some contractions. After about 20 minutes they checked me and I was only a fingertip dilated and my cervix was still very posterior. They decided to keep me and put me in my delivery room. Then they sent me off to hike the empty halls for a couple of hours. I was doing squats, stairs, etc, trying to get things moving. Around 3:30 they checked me again and I was 2 cm and very soft but still high and they couldn't feel the head. So off to hike again. At 4:30 there was still not much progress so they shut everything off and told me to take a nap because they were probably inducing me when the day shift came on. I couldn't sleep. Jay napped a bit. My mom managed to nap a bit. Then just after 7 the OB came and checked on me and I was about 3 cm so she gave the go ahead that we should start induction in the near future.
Then things got a bit scary! Abigail's heart rate started dropping during contractions and taking too long to recover. At one point the nurse hit a call button and yelled "I need help in here, D-cell" and this big swat team full of nurses came running in and they were slapping an oxygen mask on me and making me roll over and it was crazy and scary and all I could think was "breath, breath, I have to keep breathing." Her heart rate recovered and they decided to do an epidural and keep an eye on things. The epidural was so that if her heart rate decellerated again like that they could do an emergency C-section and I wouldn't have to be put out. So they put in the epidural and waited an hour to see how Abby's heart rate was doing then they started the pitocin drip really really slowly. Abby was handling the contractions perfectly by this time so they don't know if she was pinching the cord then or what... Around 10:00 am or so the doctor came to check my progress and I was only 3-4 cm, she dug deeper to see if she could feel the head yet and said "I think this baby is breech! Get me a scanner!" and a nurse ran to get a portable u/s machine and sure enough! Abigail was trying to come out butt first! No wonder my contractions weren't doing anything... her head wasn't being pushed down! LOL. So the doctor explains to me that we can continue with what we are doing and see if we can do a vaginal delivery but it would probably take awhile with the pitocin and due to Abby's heart rate dropping before she wouldn't recommend it or we could do a c-section. She did say that if I had come in with labor progressing and not having heart rate issues she would even encourage that we try a vaginal delivery since it was my 3rd baby. I told her I had absolutely zero desire to deliver a breech baby vaginally and they started prepping me for the c-section.
Once in the room they draped me and started the stronger epidural and got Jay in there. He held my hands and sat by my head and they got Abby out so fast!
At 11:55 am on Wednesday, April 27 Abigail Jennine was born! She weighed 5 lbs 13 oz I made Jay repeat it to me twice. I couldn't believe how tiny she was! She scored 9 on her apgars though so that was fantastic. We are just so proud!
She is now 5 weeks old and I am so in love with her and can hardly remember what life was like before her!
On a side note. I am never going back to that OB! I can't believe she didn't once check to see if I was breech, especially after I told her at 30 weeks I thought I was breech and she said there was lots of time for the baby to flip. She never once palpitated my stomach to check for size or positioning. I could have totally avoided a C-section if we had time to encourage her to flip. Because of this, I no longer trust her and am transferring my care back to my family doctor for my 6 week check up and will be finding a new OB if I ever have another baby. She was worth it though. My new little princess makes me feel so content with life and watching my husband with her makes me fall in love with him all over again.